Sunday, February 1, 2015

On the Subject of Reading



Now, instead of a poem this week you get a diatribe instead....I hope you enjoy.

Why don't people read anymore? I know this is a bit of an over-broad statement, but I think it holds true for a lot of people. People simply don't read much anymore. Why is this? I love reading. I own thousands of books. Quite literally. Books are stashed all over my house (bookshelf, closet, other closet, other bookshelf, under my bed - all the usual places for a true bookworm) and my books even cover the bookshelves in my parents' home (my Dad's books have all been pushed out to one lonely little bookshelf in the loft). But I find more and more that I am one of very few people who read more than 5 books a year. In fact, that's a statistic I recently read in a magazine article - the average American reads only 5 books per year. How is that even possible?? Reading is such a key aspect of life and everyone should embrace it. Reading can improve your life in so many ways. Reading can give you an escape from your daily life. It can teach you something new. Reading can offer you a new perspective that you've never considered before. And reading improves your mind - I always notice a difference in my vocabulary and even the way I think based on what I've been reading. So I can't understand people who say "I don't like to read." What does that even mean?? How do you get through life? Do you just watch TV and assume everything some pundit tells you is the entire story on the matter? You won't read an in-depth look at the history of North Korea that led to the current state of government? Ok, maybe that's not the best example (although it sounds like an interesting topic to me). But, really, how do you not like to read? Maybe the real problem here is that you haven't found your particular book genre yet. That's a travesty. But you shouldn't give up! Keep trying new books. Find a friend with similar interests and attitudes and ask them for a book recommendation. I am always willing to give you a helping hand to find a new book you would love. I can't imagine a life without books and the written word. It would be too dull to even contemplate. I hope all of you are big readers (the fact that you've stuck with this monstrosity of an email suggest you are). If you're not and you're one of those people who "don't like to read," please give books another chance. I promise you'll find something that will change your mind.

2 comments: