Monday, March 12, 2012

Rain & Oregonians

I’ve already told you a little about the relationship between Oregonians and the rain – namely that it makes their already questionable driving even more ridiculous – but the relationship between these two entities is even stranger than that and I can assure you, the strangeness is all on the part of the Oregonians.

  1. “Oh, look. It’s raining outside. I’ll put on some flip flops.” I’m sure this quirk of Oregonian behavior has something to do with the fact that Oregonians have so little time in the year in which to wear flip flops, but this logic still doesn’t quite account for wearing flip flops in the rain in my book. No matter what the weather, you can spot at least a few Oregonians walking down the street in flip flops. Sure it might be pouring rain and only 34 degrees, but evidently, that’s no reason to wear warm shoes. I habitually see these people out and about and my feet get cold and sad just seeing theirs. Want to fit in in Oregon? Buy a pair of flip flops and wear them all year long.

  1. Welcome to Oregon*. I don’t know about you, but I love umbrellas. Whoever invented the umbrella deserves a medal. They help you stay dry, can be a lovely and attractive accoutrement to any outfit, and they serve as a vehicle for Mary Poppins. Really, everyone should use an umbrella. Oregonians, however, have not yet gotten that memo. In fact, they refuse to use umbrellas at all and take an inordinate amount of pride in that fact. Personally, I don’t understand what is so wonderful about getting soaking wet by walking around in the rain without an umbrella and, often for Oregonians, without a hood, but to be a true Oregonian, when walking in the rain, hold your head up high and prepare to get wet ‘cause umbrellas aren’t welcome here. For myself, I think I’ll retain my California ways and stay dry with my umbrella.

*Umbrellas not allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment