Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Movie

Last night I attended a showing of Romancing the Stone at OMSI (the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry - one of the best things about living in Portland). The film was shown as part of the Reel Science series, which shows older films and provides a 30 minute science lecture linked to the film beforehand and a Q&A session after. OMSI has shown some of my favorite movies in this series including: Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (lecture on how Indy was just about the worst archaeologist ever), The Princess Bride (with a fencing demonstration by the Mexican National Fencing Team), Jaws (on sharks, what else?), Jurassic Park (dinos), Labyrinth (puppeteering), and more! Well, this month's film was Romancing the Stone, an 80s classic with Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner and Danny Devito. It has been a family favorite for years along with the sequel Jewel of the Nile. If you haven't seen them, I highly recommend them both. The science lecture for this film focused on geology and gems by a representative from the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries. I invited my entire family to the event with me, but, alas, they all decided travelling hundreds of miles to see a movie on the big screen that came out more than 30 years ago was not worth it. I'm not going to lie, that hurt. And so to that, I saw the following....

Last night I went out to see,
A movie very familiar to me,
A remnant from my childhood,
A family favorite that's oh, so good.
Adventure, daring, and great escapades,
A dash of romance and villains to evade.
I laughed until my sides both ached,
And tears of hilarity streamed down my face.
But the best part were the memories,
That watching it brought back to me.
Those feelings of home, family and friends,
Surrounded me now as they did back then.
Though my family is all far, far away,
And I likely won't see them for many a day,
I felt their presence clear as can be,
As I watched that old favorite movie.
And now the only thing left to do,
Is tell them I saw it and let them all stew,
In their jealousy of little old me,
As I laugh in the corner: tee hee hee hee.


Isn't family a glorious thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment